Our first week back went very smoothly! Students learned about rules, expectations and procedures. We completed some beginning assessments and played several games outside to get to know each other. I especially enjoyed the presentations last Friday, from the “All About Me” bags.
Thank you for the generous donations of paper, wipes, glue sticks, index cards, post-notes and other various materials! We are off to a wonderful start.
Various handouts are coming home this week including scholastic book orders. I try to sent home book orders every 6 weeks. Books are offered at reasonable rates and our class gets points which I use to order titles for our class library and student store. Our online class code is HP6NL. The September book order is due next Friday, September 11, 2015. Also going on right now is our Color Run Fundraiser. This will directly help us get to our big mission field trip this year. Fourth grade will receive 70 % of the profits from what we raise. Please register online and you may collect donations until September 11, 2015. Last year we did our first color run and as my then four year old said, “When are we doing that again, that was the best ever!” It is a fun family experience, right on our own campus. This week we gear up with our story of the week, a realistic fiction piece, rounding in math and the foundations of writer’s workshop. The weekly newsletter will come home every Monday. Also starting today is the agenda, please read and review with your child and initial each day. Friday all homework and signed newsletters are due. Let’s have a terrific week!
Your choices can change the world,
- Critical Thinking Reading Log: Comprehension Strategies – Read for 20 + min. each day and complete a square for each day.
- Reading Comprehension Sheet: will start next week.
- Grammar Practice: Capitalization #1
- Weekly Paragraph: will start in one week.
- Think Tank: List three questions you have for the main character in our weekly story, “My Diary From Here To There.”
Consider is a verb that simply means to think about, look at, or judge. Consider, for a moment, the perks of house sitting for your pool-owning neighbors before you immediately refuse their request.
- Think Tank: Illustrate the word of the week.
Test on Friday
- Write missed words 3X
- Use each spelling word in a sentence.
- Think Tank: Choose 5 spelling words and find an antonym or synonym for each.
Ch. 1 Place Value
- Pgs. 15/16
- Think Tank: Write 397, 502 in expanded form.
This site was created for students to help students learn their multiplication facts quickly and easily.
- Think Tank: Tell me about a game you played on this site. Was it fun? How likely are you to use it? Answer in at least 2-3 sentences.
- Throughout the year we collect “Box Tops”. Clip & save them in a baggie. There will be a school competition in September!!
- Homework & signed Newsletters are due Friday.
- Join P.T.O. Your time, ideas and effort make a difference. Only $10 for a whole family to join. More information coming home soon.
- Please turn in your completed Blue cards to me as soon as possible.
- School pictures will be coming soon; info to follow.
- Minimum Day, September 9, 2015 10:40-2:40*
* note the late start time
- Bring water bottles! Stay hydrated!!
- Labor Day, September 7, 2015 – No School
- TPES Back-To-School Night September 16, 2015. 1st-3rd grade 5-6:30; 4th-6th grade 5:30-7. Meet in the MPR.
- Color Run Donations due: September 11, 2015. Event takes place October 24, 2015.
- PTO Brax cups fundraiser due September 19, 2015.
How many acorns grow on the average pine tree?
For September we are going to do an author study on our author of the month: Kevin Henkes. I will be passing out a “Rate It” sheet where you will list various titles and rate them on a simple star system. This sheet will be due by the end of the month.
#1 BE PROACTIVE
Self reflect, look at yourself and ask some questions:
- What kinds of tasks come your way regularly? For example, at school, at home, etc.
- What kinds of tasks need immediate attention when they arrive?
- How do you plan do get these tasks done?
This month I am looking for a student who is proactive, meaning they take responsibility for their own actions.
Character Counts Monthly Trait: Respect
Fridays: school spirit: wear TPES colors blue & gold!
Donation of the Month: Disinfectant Wipes
The ones with colored tabs are preferred, but any kind will do. I am hoping for a set of 5 for each student. I already have collected enough notebooks for each student. The dividers will help make these more organized. These will be used as portfolios for students. Thank you for your donations to help make our class awesome!
I have reviewed my child’s homework for this week_________ (Initials).