Dear Parents, Guardians and Students,
This week I am sending home a PTO (Parent/Teacher/Organization) form. Our PTO provides much needed support for students and families. We have a strong board this year that is excited to try some new activities this year. PTO needs your support. The first step you can take is by becoming a PTO member. A donation of $10 for your entire family guarantees you a vote and a voice in PTO. All funds collected go directly to school related activities, field trips and student services. Please return the form with cash or check in a sealed envelope. Every effort counts.
Progress reports that give a snapshot of how your child is doing will be coming home this week. Please review, sign and return. Just a reminder we have our first minimum day this Wednesday. Also, this is the last week to collect donations for the Color Run. This will really help us take our big field trip to Mission San Juan Capistrano this year. Let’s have an inspiring week!
Your choices can change the world,
- Critical Thinking Reading Log: Read each night for 20 + min. & complete one square on your reading log each night. ( A total of 3 squares this week)
- Reading Comprehension Sheet: Christopher Columbus and the Arawak Indians
- Grammar Practice: Comma Lesson #2
- Weekly Paragraph: will start next week.
- Think Tank: What is a prediction? Can you give me an example of one? Make a prediction about the story of the week.
[mahy-noot, -nyoot, mi-]
Craftsmen can paint whole villages or detailed portraits of people on a grain of rice using minute, or tiny, paintbrushes. Often the works of art are so minute that you can only see them with a magnifying glass.
- Think Tank: List 3 synonyms for the word minute.
Test on Friday
- Write missed words 3X
- Use each spelling word in a sentence.
- Think Tank: Rainbow write your spelling words using colors of your choice.
Ch. 1 Place Value
- Pgs. 21/22
- Think Tank: What is 3,698,212 rounded to the nearest ten thousand? The nearest one hundred thousand? The nearest thousand? Also, write in word form.
September 17, 2014 is Constitution Day, the anniversary of the day the framers signed this document. The U.S. Constitution is one of the most influential legal documents. On this website you can read the entire text of the Constitution, the Bill of Rights and the Declaration of Independence. Check out this website and in the “IQ Challenge” take the “Which Founding Father are You” quiz.
- Think Tank: After you take the “Which Founding Father are You quiz, tell me which one are you?
- Throughout the year we collect “Box Tops”. Clip & save them in a baggie. There will be a school competition in September!!
- Homework and signed Newsletters& Agendas are due Friday.
- Join P.T.O. Your time, ideas and effort make a difference. Only $10 for a whole family to join.
- Please turn in your completed Blue cards to me as soon as possible.
- School pictures coming soon!
- Minimum Day, September 9, 2015 10:40-2:40*
* note the late start time
- Bring water bottles! Stay hydrated!!
- TPES Back-To-School Night September 16, 2015 1st-3rd grade 5-6:30 & 4th-6th grade 5:30-7
- Color Run donation packet due this Friday 9/11/15
- PTO Brax Cups orders due 9/19/15
- Scholastic Book Orders due this Friday 9/11/15
If you had 5 potatoes and had to divide them equally between 3 people, what should you do?
For September we are going to do an author study on our author of the month: Kevin Henkes. I will be passing out a “Rate It” sheet where you will list various titles and rate them on a simple star system. This sheet will be due by the end of the month. It is available in the elephant’s trunk bin.
#1 BE PROACTIVE
Try to prevent problems from ever arising. This means tackling possible problems in advance to prevent them from becoming a reality. Get into the habit of taking precautions and developing fallback plans.
This month I am looking for a student who is proactive, meaning they take responsibility for their own actions.
- Think Tank: What problem did you try and prevent from happening this week or in the past?
Character Counts Monthly Trait: Respect
Fridays: school spirit: wear TPES colors blue & gold!
Donation of the Month: Disinfectant Wipes
The ones with colored tabs are preferred, but any kind will do. I am hoping for a set of 5 for each student. I already have collected enough notebooks for each student. The dividers will help make these more organized. These will be used as portfolios for students. Thank you for your donations to help make our class awesome!
I have reviewed my child’s homework for this week_________ (Initials).
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- May 2015
- March 2015
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012